sun sign Filby snow sign

The clubroom is more than a little special as it is one of the last two buildings in the village known to be, at least in part, originally of clay lump construction. The Fire Service's handling of the fire and protection of the shell saved the building from complete destruction. Parts of it could so easily have been, literally, washed away.

The fact that the refurbishment was accomplished within a remarkably short time is to the credit to those involved.



The clubroom was donated to the village by Mr. Charles B. Lucas in 1898 to be used for parish gatherings and meetings.


It was damaged by fire in 2002.


Of course the event attracted the attention of the media.




The building was refurbished with the support of the Community Fund, Lottery Funded.

It was re-opened by Barry Coleman, Leader of Great Yarmouth Borough Council on the 20th September 2003.

In the December 2009 snow, Joan Saul's picture shows the clubroom continues to thrive.


Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!

Other Bits:

Some are still being written or revised.

Filby Calendar 2010

Our 2010 calendar, continuing the "Filby Then & Now" theme, was launched as part of the Filby Playing Field, Bank Holiday Fun Weekend at the 'Local Roots' Exhibition in the Clubroom with profits again going to the new community centre fund.

Calendars are still on sale at Filby Post Office and via this website by sending an email to the address below.

The price has been held at £7.00. Any post and packing is extra.

There are still a few 2009 calendars available via this website.

Oh My! Ideas for the 2011 calendar are already being put together and we have started taking, and arranging to take, the 'now' pictures for it.

For enquiries and orders send an email to the address below.

Voices from the Past

New for 2010

On 20th October 2009, we started publishing a weekly "Filby News" bulletin on the Village Voice page.

Then we got to wondering what our forebears considered worthy of record and what they were doing one hundred and twenty years ago. This page is the result. From in January 2010 we are publishing, month by month, the Victorian equivalent of Village Voice starting with January 1890.

Our Church

More about All Saints, Filby.

Church Hall

Built in the 1930s, now requires substantial refurbishment.

The future of this building is uncertain and fund raising for a new community centre, to be sited on the Playing Field, is progressing despite our application for Lottery funding being rejected.


This building is a bit special as it is one of the last two 'clay lump' structures in the village.

Clubs & Groups

In more detail.

If you wish to publicise your club, or organisation, and it is based in Filby or relevant to our village please email the webmaster.